Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Dark Chocolate & Chilli Tart
A cheeky twist to an old favourite. This rich chocolate tart has a spicy kick to it.
For the Pastry
- 7oz/200g plain flour
- 1½ tbsp corn flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4½oz/130g butter, softened
- 3¼oz/90g caster sugar
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 2oz/50g dark chocolate, for coating the cooked tart case
For the Filling
- 100g/3½oz dark chocolate (50% cocoa solids)
- 200g/7oz dark chocolate (60% cocoa solids)
- 300ml/10½ floz double cream
- 150ml/5floz milk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½tsp crushed chilli flakes
Method (click to mark as completed)
- To make the pastry, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla until well combined using the Russell Hobbs Allure Hand Mixer, add egg and beat thoroughly.
- Sieve the flour and corn flour into the bowl and fold together to form a cohesive dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes until firm.
- When the pastry is ready, roll out on a floured work surface to about 5 mm/ just under ¼ inch thick and use to line a 22cm/9" fluted tart tin, place the tart case in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, any spare pastry may be frozen.
- Preheat an oven to 210°C, 190°C fan assisted, Gas Mark 6, line the inside of the tart case with baking parchment and fill to the top with baking beans.
- Place on a preheated baking tray and bake for 10 minutes before reducing the temperature to 190°C, 175°C fan assisted, Gas Mark 4 for a further 5 minutes, carefully remove baking beans and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes until golden. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Melt the 2oz/50g dark chocolate, reserved for coating, and paint the inside of the tart case using a pastry brush, set the tart case to one side.
- Break the 2 grades of dark chocolate into the Russell Hobbs Allure mini ball chopper and process until roughly ½cm/ ¼"sized pieces are formed, place in a large bowl. It may be necessary to do this in a few batches.
- To make the egg custard base, in a jug lightly blend the whole egg and egg yolk with the Russell Hobbs Allure hand blender, just so as to combine. In a pan, heat the double cream, milk and chilli flakes and bring to the boil, pour onto the egg mixture and blend immediately.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)