- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 225g (8 oz) butter, at room temperature
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200g chopped strawberries
- 230g caster sugar
- 140g/5oz butter, softened
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
For the icing:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
- In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients using an electric whisk.
- Take a 7inch baking tin and grease the tin fully.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, place on a wire rack to cool.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes 1" apart on top of the cake.
- In a small saucepan, heat the strawberries for approximately 5 minutes or until they start to break down.
- Add the caster sugar to the pan and cook for a futher 3 minutes or until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Using a hand blender, blend the strawberry mixture.
- Gently squeeze enough mixture into the cake holes.
- Refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes.
- Using a kitchen mixer, mix together 140g of butter, 280g of icing sugar and the milk until it becomes smooth and stiffened.
- Layer the icing on top of the cake and decorate with your choice of fruits!